Wednesday, February 18, 2009

CEO credits mum for business acumen


Tenaga Nasional Bhd president and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Che Khalib Mohamad Noh attributes his business acumen to his mother.

An accountant by qualification, it was Che Khalib's mother who gave him his first taste of running a business.

"My dad passed away when I was 13 years old. So my uneducated mother, living on my father's pension, decided to start a small home business selling ais kacang and laksa," he said.

The business then grew into a sundry shop in his hometown in Bayan Lepas.

"As the second child of four, I would help my mother with the business. She would also give me things to sell at school to pick up business skills," he said.

Known to many at TNB as the kedekut (stingy) CEO, Che Khalib said his mother played a pivotal role in developing his business skills.

Che Khalib became TNB's head in July 2004, just as TNB was searching for a new CEO and the Prime Minister was unveiling the GLC Transformation Programme.

"While some believe I was chosen by the finance minister, TNB had engaged an international head hunting agency for its search. Several candidates, including myself, were identified and interviewed by the board members," he said.

His appointment drew many congratulatory wishes and also an equal number of curious comments.

"I still remember Tan Sri Chua Ma Yu asking me why I chose TNB instead of opting for another GLC. TNB is not an easy business due to its complexity in terms of managing expectations of leaders, consumers, and staff.

"I wanted to take on this challenge because it is the only time I can repay the government. I'm a direct beneficiary of government assistance and wouldn't have been able to pursue my education as I came from a poor family," he said.

Che Khalib took on the job with sheer determination to see a change in TNB. His basic rules are; he does not want to leave the company feeling embarrassed having worked there and adhering to three guiding principles which are discipline, integrity and dedication.

Since becoming the CEO, TNB has rolled out its 20-year strategic plan and gone on to receive many accolades including the Prime Minister's Award.

However, the father of five, without hesitation, says his greatest joy is spending time with his family. "I don't go for teh tarik or golf sessions in my free time. I'd rather spend it with the family because I don't want to miss seeing my children grow," he said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home